Former firefighter pleads guilty to child molestation

Dustin Lee Brooks,  a former volunteer Lincoln County firefighter, and former head of the department’s Explorers program, has pleaded guilty to misdemeanor child molestation (second degree).

He received a suspended sentence of 120 days in the Lincoln County Jail and must register as a sex offender. According to Lincoln County Prosecuting Attorney Leah Askey, he was required to complete a sex offender assessment class.

He has resigned from his position as volunteer firefighter.

The plea arose out of events when a 16-year-old boy said he met Brooks  at the fire house in Troy for a job opportunity Brooks had offered him. The victim said he had received several text messages that day from whom he later found out was Brooks, offering him money for an undisclosed job opportunity.

He agreed to the meeting, but had a friend follow him in a separate vehicle. According to court documents, when the victim entered through the east doors as instructed, he met Brooks.  Later, as the victim stood up to leave, Brooks grabbed the victim’s genitals. The victim told Brooks to stop and that it was not okay. The victim left the firehouse.

Brooks called after the victim telling him he needed to get some money so the victim could gas up his car. The victim was followed by Brooks where Brooks put $28 worth of gas in the vehicle.

In January, 2012, Brooks admitted to police he had been texting the victim and asked him to meet at the Troy Fire Department the previous month to give him a Lincoln County Fire Department Explorers application.  Brooks was the post advisor  for a group of 15 teenagers. Brooks did not have a previous record.

The Explorers are now supervised by the fire chief and a chaplain.

Parents of each Explorers program participant has been informed of the incident and encouraged to speak with Troy police.

The Lincoln County Fire Department has taken precautions to make sure something like this does not happen again. A closed-circuit camera system has been installed in the Troy fire station.

 

Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at 8:14 am