Delegates to the Silver Haired Legislature choose their priorities for 2013
The 39th Annual Conference of the Silver Haired Legislature took place at the State Capitol in Jefferson City on Oct. 10, 11, and 12. The 114 delegates in attendance formulated plans to influence public opinion and legislative action during the coming season.
After spirited debates in the Legislative chambers, the delegates chose these issues as their Top Five Priorities for concentrated political and community action:
1. Restoration of core funds previously withheld by the Legislature and an increase in state funding for senior nutrition programs.
2. Increase in funding of the Medicaid Meals program.
3. Establishment of a Silver Alert System for Endangered Adults.
4. Increase in the allowable Asset Level for Medicaid recipients.
5. Establishment of reasonable regulations for so-called “payday loans”.
Anyone interested in learning further details about the priorities of the Silver Haired Legislature is encouraged to call or email Pam Windtberg (Northeast Missouri Area Agency on Aging) at 800-664-6338 (email@example.com) or SHL Delegate Walt Bittle at 636-456-5603 (firstname.lastname@example.org).