Historic churches in Lincoln County, artifact display throughout the years
Thursday evening, Oct. 18, the Lincoln County Historical and Geological Society held their quarterly general membership meeting focusing on congregations formed before 1900 in Lincoln County. Zion United Church of Christ, as part of their 125th Anniversary celebration, hosted the event. Following a Readers Theater presentation of Zion’s founding by members of their congregation, those attending viewed historical displays brought by 18 different participating congregations.
Historic artifacts from congregations formed before 1900 in Lincoln County.
Cookies and drinks were enjoyed while participants viewed the churches’ visual presentations in Zion’s Fellowship Hall.
The churches’ displays had many artifacts from the 1800’s along with power point presentations about their respective congregations’ history and present day activities. From the model building of the Auburn Presbyterian Church complete with pews, pulpit and potbellied stove, the 10th anniversary quilt of Sacred Heart Congregation, First Christian Church’s original communion set to St. Stephen United Church of Christ original pulpit Bible and many, many more, those attending had an interesting and informative evening.
Churches participating were Immaculate Conception, St. Paul United Church of Christ, Highland Prairie Union Church, Moscow Mills United Methodist Church, Friedens United Church of Christ, First Baptist Church of Troy, First Christian Church of Troy, St. Stephen United Methodist Church, Zion United Church of Christ, Troy Presbyterian, Sacred Heart of Troy, Hawk Point Community Church, Hawk Point Baptist Church, Old Alexandria United Methodist Church, Auburn Presbyterian Church, Whiteside Presbyterian Church, Mt. Zion Associate Reform Presbyterian Church and Elsberry Associate Reform Presbyterian Church. St Mary’s, of Hawk Point, Zion United Methodist, of Truxton, and Louisville Christian Church had planned to participate but were unable to.
The Historical Society welcomes visitors to the Old Jail Historical facility on Collier Street, behind the Lincoln County Courthouse. Guided tours are available any time by arrangement from January through April. Please call 636-528-4399 to make an appointment. From May through Nov. the Old Jail Museum is open from 2-4 p.m. on the first Saturday of the month.