Lincoln County Journal

Follow Us On:

Area football teams lose regular season games, all in playoffs

Posted on Monday, October 29, 2012 at 8:53 am

Troy Buchanan Trojans held a 14-10 halftime lead but were outscored 13-7 in the second half in a 23-21 loss to the Quincy, Ill. Blue Devils in their last regular season game of the year.

After Troy turned the ball over on their opening drive, the Blue Devils struck first on a field goal, giving them a 3-0 lead with 4:53 left in the first period. In the second period, they increased their lead to 10-0 on a three-yard run by Robbins. The Trojans dented the scoreboard twice before the half. Justin Sutphin scored on a 35-yard run 5:16 left and quarterback Ben Chaney punched the ball over from one-yard out with 1:41 left. This was set up on a fumble recovery by Troy. Chaney added the PAT after each score, giving the Trojans the lead at intermission.

The Blue Devils found paydirt first in the third period on a 29-yard run, giving them a 16-14 lead. The kick failed. Quincy’s special team contributed the next score as they scored on a Trojan miscue on a punt attempt. This helped them extend their lead to 23-14. Chaney scored in the final period on a 22-yard run with 11:01 left.  He added the extra point to round out the scoring.

The Trojans held the edge in rushing and passing yards and in total offense (342-272) but Quincy was more efficient in converting third-down attempts (10/14 with Troy at 3/8). Chaney was the leading rusher for Troy with 120 yards and Ronny Smith had 76 yards. Troy played without the injured Devon Fuller.  Chaney completed four of five passes for 95 yards with Kenny Dearing catching two (38 yds), Sutphin  one for 57 yards and Smith one for zero yards. Defensively, Chaney had 11 solo tackles and Anthony Ribaudo had seven and a sack. Robert Noll had one interception. Troy had five team tackles which resulted in losses.

The loss left the Trojans with a 5-4 mark going into Friday’s playoff game at Columbia Hickman.

The Clopton-Elsberry IndianHawks learned about losing the tough one on the road when the Orchard Farm Eagles squeaked out a 27-26 victory in the team’s regular season finale.

“There’s no doubt that was the best game we’ve played, and it showed by dominating 3 1/2 quarters of a football game over a very good Orchard Farm team,” said Coach Lynn Nutt. “Defensively, we did a few new things, and it seemed to work very well for us.

“Freshman Brendan Michaelson was a big pickup for us at middle linebacker.” Michaelson had one solo tackle, seven assisted tackles.

“The continued high level of play from (middle linebacker) Devin Linton is always a positive,” Nutt said. Linton had two solo tackles, two solo tackles for losses and eight assisted tackles.”

Rahiem Porter’s had two interceptions. Sophomore Porter had three solo tackles and four assisted tackles as well.

“Chuck (Fraction) is doing a great job of being our “eraser” at safety level, and defenses rarely throw to his side,” said Nutt. Fraction had six solo tackles and four assisted tackles.

Matthew Parrinello had two assisted tackles and one solo tackle. Junior linebacker Rheed Leake had two solo tackles and four assisted tackles. Junior linebacker Bobby Schleuter had two solo tackles and six assisted tackles.

“Offensively, we ran the ball all over the field,” Nutt said.

Junior quarterback Jack Hicks had 123 yards on 21 carries, scored a touchdown and ran in a two-point conversion. He was five of eight passing for 63 yards but threw two picks.

“Chuck and Jack had a great game running the football, and once we can get the ball carriers to make a few better reads and the receivers to consistently run the right routes, our offense will be extremely hard to stop.”

Fraction had whopping 185 yards on just 12 carries for an outrageous average of 15.4 yards per haul. He scored three touchdowns on the ground and also caught one ball for 25 yards.

The Van-Far/Community R-VI football co-op football team prevailed over Winfield with a 20-16 victory in the teams’ final regular season game of the year.

Winfield scored first when they converted a fumble recovery into a TD and two-point conversion.  Twelve plays later, Van-Far rallied down to Winfield’s 11 yard line only to finish the drive four-and-out and remain scoreless for the rest of the first quarter.

The Indians halted Winfield’s first drive of the second quarter and  Van-Far started its assault from their opponent’s 38 yard line. Ethan Gooch connected with Logan Boyd for a fourth-down, 29-yard touchdown pass to trail Winfield 8-6 with a failed two point conversion. The score remained the same at half.

Van-Far scored first in the third period on a  59-yard pass from Gooch to Devontay Wilkerson for a 59-yard pass to take a 12-8 lead. A successful two-point attempt left Winfield trailing by six points at 14-8.

Two drives later, Winfield picked off Gooch for the second time of the night and scored in the following drive for a narrow 16-14 Van-Far lead.

In the final quarter, Boyd scored on fourth down with a 21-yard keeper for a 20-16 lead after a failed two point conversion.

For Winfield, Jerel Hall rushed for 248 yards and had two TDs, Aaron Aubuchon completed six of eight passes for netted only three yards. Defensively, Hall had 13 tackles and an interception. Aubuchon also picked off a pass. Getting sacks were Dustin Kneemiller and Brandon Wuelling.