Early Thursday evening, at 6:29 p.m., Lincoln County Firefighters responded to 191 Pine Tree Manor Dr. in Moscow Mills for a reported structure fire.
On arrival firefighters found heavy smoke throughout the mobile home with flames in the kitchen. The homeowner who was outside was frantic and told firefighters there were five cats inside the home.
Firefighters and Moscow Police opened a window and rescued two of the cats that came to the window. Firefighters immediately searched for the other three cats after knocking the fire down. Two were found deceased inside the home, but the last one was found on the floor of the living room with obvious smoke inhalation and the cat appeared disoriented.
One firefighter attempted to help the cat, but was slightly injured when the cat lashed out at him in obvious distress. Firefighters quickly took the cat outside and with paramedics from Lincoln County Ambulance District, administered oxygen with pet oxygen masks carried on the fire trucks.
During the administration of oxygen, the cat’s owner approached it and was injured when the cat attacked, breaking its owner’s reading glasses and causing facial injuries. Firefighters helped calm the cat and continued the administration of oxygen while paramedics attended to the owner. The cat was left in care of its owner who planned to take it to a local animal hospital.
No one was seriously injured or transported to the hospital. The cause of the fire was accidental and attributed to unattended cooking.