The Louisville Christian Church Building Preservation Society is having their annual Gospel Sing and Ice Cream Social on Sunday, Oct. 15, from 2-4 p.m. at the church located on Highway Z. Music is by Frank Vaughn and Second Time Around.
This event is free will offering and all donations are sincerely appreciated. They will be used for the preservation of this building. For information please call Susan Conner 573-754-4766 or Dee Akers 636-528-9491.
The following is a bit of the church history compiled by Evelyn Brandon.
The Louisville Christian Church in early times was known as the “mother of churches” being the first to embrace the faith in its entirety in Lincoln County. The church was organized by Sandy Jones of Kentucky in June 1832 at the family home of Cumbia Kilby two miles west of Louisville with the following members: Sanford Jameson and wife, Mrs. Margaret Stewart, William Jameson, David Jamieson and wife, Robert Summers and wife, Pappa Holiday, wife and two sisters, Cumbia Kilby and wife.
This faithful band met for twelve years in homes until the little log schoolhouse was built, just south of where the church now stands.
In 1844 with the help of many friends, they built a substantial brick church 40 by 60 feet. The bricks were made in the church yard by W.W. Blain of Ashley.
The church was dedicated in the spring of 1845 by Elder Hughes with many prominent ministers of that day present. The first preacher was Sandy Jones, who gave his all to the service of the church, followed by Elder Hughes and Rev. Greenup Jackson.
From an excerpt in “The Millennial Harbinger” Dec. 1853, “The great Evangelist, Alexander Campbell, described his trip to Missouri crossing the river at Clarksville, coming to Louisville on Oct. 25 1853. He delivered an address of some two hours on 1: Timothy, second and third chapters. He spent the night with Bro. Luke Paxton and the next day spoke from 2: Timothy, first chapter on The Value and Importance of Christian Education.”
During the War Years, 1861-1866, there is no information. It is believed the church was inactive due to intense feelings caused by the Civil War, as many families were divided in their loyalties.
In 1898 the old church was remodeled at a cost of $700 with all modern improvements.
The first lights remembered were kerosene lamps with reflectors attached to the walls. Later a gas lighting system was installed and in 1941 electricity was made available. The cost of wiring the church was 69.13. No musical instrument was used for years until Nov. 24, 1899 a treadle organ was bought from J.E. Huckstep of Bowling Green. The wood burning stoves were replaced with gas heaters in 1960, as well as concrete steps and a walk added, the ceiling lowered and the front interior paneled in 1967 and a new floor laid in 1968 which made the old meeting house more comfortable.
The remainder of this article as well as much more is available in the church history book compiled in the late 1980s.