During the January Elsberry R-II school board meeting, directors voted unanimously to place Proposition 2 on the April 3, 2018, ballot.
Proposition 2 will be a no-tax increase bond issue in the amount of 2.5 million dollars for renovations throughout the school district.
During the meeting, board members set forth a list of renovations and needs for the district. They also placed those needs in a priority list. 1. Middle School Office Relocation: Currently the office is located in the high school portion of the building. The idea is to move the office to an exterior entrance, so that when anyone from the outside is entering they would enter through the office.
2. Fifth and Sixth Grade Restroom Renovation: Adding new restrooms.
3. Superintendent Office Relocation: Exterior entrance so that it has it’s own secure entrance. 4. Replace Water Line to Elementary: Original water line needing to be replaced.
5. AG Building – HVAC, Lighting, Bathrooms, etc.:
6. Parking Lot Repavement: Repaving the upper high school parking area.
7. Replace Gym Floor: In 2008 work was done on the floor to attempt to get rid of dead spots. This is the original floor from 1978.
8. FACS Classroom Renovation: Basic renovation from when the building was built in 1967.
9. High School Entrance: Creating a secure entrance similar to the Middle School and Superintendent Office.
“Our most important needs with these updates is everyone safe and secure,” said Dr. Reller. “Changing the middle school, high school and superintendent’s Offices will mean less people within the halls of the school and easier access to the offices.”
If the proposition is approved, the adjusted debt service levy of the school district is estimated to remain unchanged at $1.3806 per one hundred dollars of assessed valuation of real and personal property. As explained back in 2013 by Dr. Reller, “I think the most important thing people need to know is this will not increase or decrease their taxes if they vote yes or no,” explained Dr. Reller.
Dr. Reller also stated that the majority of the work if Proposition 2 is passed will occur in the summer of 2019.