Lincoln County Journal

Follow Us On:

Silex appoints new city attorney, lowers police pay, raises water re-connect fees

Posted on Monday, July 21, 2014 at 9:25 am

At the city of Silex meeting on Monday, July 14, the board of aldermen replaced city attorney Lee Elliott by a vote of three to one. After the vote was taken, former city attorney Elliott left the room and the new city attorney, Jeffrey Allen Robertson, assumed his duties. Robertson will be compensated according to the following fee schedule: a $300 flat fee for court appearances, a $500 flat fee for appearing at board meetings and a $300 flat fee for appearing at special board meetings.

The room was full for the meeting; the citizens who spoke up on the matter spoke against the change, as did Alderman Dave Heimburger, who said, “This board is making a mistake.” After asking Mr. Robertson a series of questions, he stated that he could not support him, but wished him luck and vowed to work with him.

The board also voted to reduce the current hourly pay of the police officers from $15 an hour to $10 an hour. This proposal was made by Alderman Justin Spanier, who cited budget concerns. Alderman Heimburger voted against the proposal, though the motion was carried.

The ordinance to increase water re-connect fees was also passed.

The issue of filling the vacant seat previously occupied by Alderman Cockrells was tabled.

Mick Mehler and his attorney Justin Butler appeared before the board to discuss a dispute over some work that Mehler had performed three years ago, but for which he had yet to receive payment. Alderman Spanier requested another month to allow the new city attorney to get up to speed on the issue before the board could make a proposal. Mr. Mehler and his attorney agreed.

A series of incidents and disturbances on Dogwood were discussed. Residents from the street were present to plead for a resolution. Tempers flared briefly in the assembly hall. Police Chief McDermott assured the board that an investigation was ongoing

A special meeting was scheduled for July 31 at 7 p.m. to discuss the situation with Mr. Mehler and the fall festival. The meeting adjourned at approximately 9 p.m.